Knowledge of cataracts
- The silent danger that is the number 1 cause of blindness in Thai people.
Do you know?
- Glaucoma is the second leading cause of blindness in the world.
- In Thailand, glaucoma is the number 1 cause of incurable blindness.
- The world's blind population is 4.5 million and the number of blind people increased by 11.2 million in 2020.
- In almost half of the developed countries Still don't know that they are up to 90%.
How do you know you won't be one of them?
What is glaucoma?
- Glaucoma is an elevated eye pressure. which damages the optic nerve and resulting in loss of vision, such as in cases of eye pressure greater than 22 mm Hg Is a disease with degeneration of the optic nerve, in the case of normal eye pressure is 5-22 mm Hg.
Glaucoma is a silent threat that unwittingly threatens the eyes, and if left untreated and untreated, can eventually lead to permanent vision loss.
Who is at risk for glaucoma?
- People at risk of developing glaucoma include people over 40 years of age and family history of glaucoma. High pressure in the eye was detected. Have you ever had an eye-related accident? use steroid medication have farsightedness or myopia Having certain congenital diseases such as diabetes, migraines, etc.
Warning signs of glaucoma?
- No early warning signs.
- Visibility loss begins at the outer edge of the field of vision, i.e. side vision. The middle part of the image is also clearly visible. (In the case of non-career, the field of vision becomes narrower and narrower.)
- The changes are usually gradual without the patient's knowledge.
- There is an abnormality in vision or vision (this cause is often destroyed, which is dangerous to the eyes).
Acute glaucoma must be treated immediately.
- Which is a condition in which the pressure is very high and fast It is an emergency that requires immediate treatment.
- Patients with headaches, severe eye pain and sudden red eyes, rainbow vision around the sun, nausea, vomiting, need to see a physician for treatment immediately. (However, acute stones are rarely found.)
This treatment for glaucoma Glaucoma Treatment The goal is to prevent further damage to the optic nerve. and to maintain the existing vision as long as possible The treatment will depend on the type and stage of the disease. The ophthalmologist will determine the appropriate treatment guidelines for each patient. There are currently three main treatment options:
- Medication treatment (consistently discontinued as prescribed by the doctor).
- laser use.
- Intraocular pressure reduction surgery.
However, each type of glaucoma in each individual will respond to different treatment methods Therefore, an ophthalmologist should be consulted. to plan a specific treatment for each patient individually.
Screening prevent glaucoma.
- Because osteoarthritis, if the optic nerve is damaged and cannot be recovered, early diagnosis, and early diagnosis and treatment are critical, those in their 40s or older should be screened to see if they are at risk of osteoarthritis.
- People without risk factors 40-46 years old, examined every 2-4 years, 65 years or older, checked every 1-2 years.
- People with risk factors such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high blood history, eye diseases such as retinal diseases, eye accidents, and family history of retinal diseases such as osteoarthritis, eye damage, use drugs that affect the eyes, wear contact lenses 18 years old or older, should be screened every 1-2 years or as recommended by a doctor and move frequency.Once a year at the age of 65 or older.
Glaucoma The best treatment and prevention is to have your eyes examined at least once a year. For those who are at risk in order to be treated from the beginning It is the best prevention of blindness from glaucoma.
Inquiries can be made at.
- Eye Center, Ladprao Saha Clinic Medical Center Building 2 floor 4 tele : 02-530-2556 continue 2440,2441